Schools

 

Scoil Naomh Eanna

In 1826 there were six schools in the Parish.  A Government report of that year details the location of the school, teachers, names and salaries, number of pupils (Catholic and Protestant), state of the buildings and probable cost of same. At that time, there were schools in Ballymackney, Shanragh, Ballyregan, Corcreaghy (Old Church), Essexford (Glebe House) and Leege.  In all, these schools catered for 173 Catholics and 20 Protestants.

In 1840 after the National Education Act (1831), Rocktate School was built and in operation until 1954 when it was replaced by a modern building.  This school was closed in latter years and pupils were taken daily by bus to Ballymackney, the sole remaining school in the Parish.

Ballymackney School closed in November 1995.  The pupils moved to a beautiful new school in the townland of Tullydrum, adjacent to the Church and the Parochial Hall.  The new school was officially opened in March, 1996, by the Rev. Dr. Joseph Duffy, Bishop of Clogher and the then Minister for Education, Ms. Niamh Breathnath.

At present the school has in excess of 190 pupils on roll and have use of the most up-to-date equipment and facilities available.

© 2012-2017 St Enda's Parish - Killanny - Designed and developed by GetOnline Pro